Sunday, March 30, 2008

Reavo goes all Fan-boy... What a Geek

Super Friends… Best. Cartoon. Ever. I have been reading JLA (that’s Justice League of America for non-fan boys) comic books since the early eighties. I am a huge fan of the Super Friends cartoon adaption of JLA that was on ABC Saturday mornings from 1973 -1986. During that epic run the Friends took on various rosters of superheros but the core group was always Superman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman and boy wonder Robin. During their network television run the team would include other superhero icons as Green Lantern (Hal Jordan is wicked), the Flash, Black Vulcan, Apache Chief and Hawkgirl.

The reason I am blogging about JLA/ The Super Friends is that Warner Brothers, parent company of DC comics the owners of the JLA characters, has announced they are going to produce a JLA live action movie. As a fan, I should be happy about it, but I am not. I feel that JLA is a much more natural fit in animated form. The recent Cartoon Network resection of the JLA was amazing and proves the animation point. In fact the recent JLA revival is more true to the heart and theme of the comic book than the Super Friends, but it misses much of the kooky eighties charm of the Friends take on superheros. The nifty lean towards anti-violence is why I prefer the eighties version. Plus I actually like the Wonder Twins, call me a crazy.

I cannot help but doubt Hollywood’s ability to capture the true flavor of my favorite superhero team after so many hero flicks have missed the mark in the past few years. Let’s hope they get this one right. Hopefully it is more X-Men and less (way less) Fantastic Four. But, I would be just as happy if they put out an animated version of the JLA.

Reavo

No comments: