Thursday, May 29, 2008

Oh Mother

Well Mothers Day was a few weeks ago and I have been thinking recently how lucky I got in the Mom Lottery. For reals (I am feeling very street tonight… been watching too much of the Wire, I guess) basically there is a parent lottery and you end up jackpotting like me or end up coming up craps like one of those poor Spears kids.

Why is my Moms (damn Wire) so dope? Well first my Mom always, I mean without exception put my needs in front of her own. I never needed for anything. Sure, maybe I did not get everything I ever wanted, but I always had anything I needed and I usually got everything I wanted as well. Heck she ponied up a Wii for the family this year.

But it’s not about getting nice things; it’s about exposing to so many of the things I love today. The summer before my sixth grade year, my Mom felt like I was up to no good (she was probably right) and she decided was going to try to get me interested in something beside laying around and watching Different Strokes (love that Arnold Jackson). So she read The Stand to me aloud, two to three chapters per night. To this day it is by far my favorite book. I reread this book myself any time I hit a rough patch or feel like I need to be reground. I owe this to Mom.

My mom exposed me to raw cookie dough (way before it came in packages), Psycho, To Kill a Mockingbird, the British version of the Office, my first trip to Graceland and so many other things that have made my life richer today.

I got my sense of humor from my Mom and most importanly she is the one person that will call me on my BS.

I am very lucky indeed.

No comments: