Sunday, May 4, 2008

Nothing mini about the Mini

Recently I embarked on a new challenge. The Indianapolis Mini Marathon! I have thought about doing this for years, but always thought why pay $55 dollars to be miserable? I am miserable most days for free. But this year I decided what the heck, you only live once (unless you buy Shirley MacLaine’s take on things) lets do it.

What was I thinking?

Now most folks who sign up for these 13.1 miles of hell, train for months to prepare for the big day, me, not so much. Originally I had delusions of running this monstrosity. Then I remembered, I run like I am tied to a tree. So walking seemed like a more logical choice for this broken down old body.

There are some very nice ladies that I work with that offered to let me train with them, but I was always otherwise detained when they were conducting their training sessions. Activities, such as Wii, Scramble, blogging and sleep all took precedent to training. This is not to say I did not train at all, but not nearly enough. I topped out at eight miles during my training, never getting close to the 13.1 I was going to need to complete this chamber of horrors.

I was frightened the morning of the Mini that would not be able to keep up with sub 18 minute pace needed to avoid the loser bus. Yes if you don’t maintain that 18 minute pace, they pull you from the road and make you get on a bus. Oh the horror!

Well I rode down to the Mini with the marathon vets from work that had offered to let me train. They were calm and relaxed, but I was a bundle of nerves. What had I gotten myself in to? As I walked in to corral X I was looking for an escape from this madness. But alas there was no escape; I was going to have to do this.

As I crossed the starting line with two of my co-workers I was filled with adrenaline! I could do this. In fact when one of my fellow walkers started to run, I did as well! Yeah let’s run this whole thing I thought, who needed training? Then we came to our senses and slowed down, this was half marathon after all.

I was fine until mile three. My partners decided we would run at the end of the miles… well as we got to mile three I ran. I turned to see where my partners were and BAM I went down like Tonya Harding had taken me out. Except my Tonya Harding was my own lack of coordination. I got up and dusted myself off; I was no worse for wear.

Other than my brush with ground, I was fine until I hit the mile nine. Every step from mile nine and 12 was utter hell. Each step hurt immensely, my feet bottoms felt like I was walking on broken glass. I was getting cold chills and I had to use the bathroom.

Then I hit mile 12. I realized I was going to finish… I could do it. I told myself over and over, just finish and you will never ever make this mistake again. Just finish it this once you can say you did it and then be done with it forever.

Crossing the finish line was unbelievable! I even ran the last 1/ 4 mile. I could not believe I was finally done… in 3 hours and 20 minutes. I was able to keep a 15 minute pace, which is not too bad for my lack of real training.

Now the crazy part… I can’t wait for next year.

No comments: