Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Favorites - High School Edition

I love Facebook because it gives you chance to reconnect with old friends from high school and college. It's so interesting seeing what everyone is up to today as well as flooding you with memories of days gone past. Ahhh… Living the dream, the high school dream. Today’s blog will feature my favorite moments from High School (we will get to college soon enough).

Jr. Spec – North Central High School was filled with unique traditions and experiences, but one of the best is Jr. Spectacular. Better known as Jr. Spec, this theatrical performance (dude that is some stretching of the term theatrical performance) is written, directed, and performed by members of the Jr. class. Sounds nice right? Like “oh the Jr. class got together and put on a little show together.” How sweet? Nope you got it all wrong… the Jr. class divides themselves among social groups and competed against each other in a battle royale that is part social experiment-part drama camp. This is not to say that I did not enjoy it… in fact I loved it. The real fun was the summer before my Jr. year at our “writers meetings” which basically amounted to me and the other writers (again very liberal use of the word) seeing how much we could make each other laugh and deep discussion of how crazy hot Michelle Freckelton’ s mom was.


















Operation White Cloud – Another tradition at NC (not so unique) is Senior Skip Day, or Senior Slop Day (not sure on the origins of the slop term) as we called it. Now part of this tradition is pulling pranks on the school in the morning before taking the rest of the day off. I still remember some daring seniors releasing a greased pig in the lunch room my sophomore year. I was asked to participate in a secret mission known as Operation White Cloud. Which was your run of the mill toilet papering of the high school. But really it was so much more, as this was intricately planned attack with over 20 guys broken in to four squads of TP warriors… ok the prank kind of sucked but we had a wicked time doing it.

Prom – Oh so good looking… Yes, I was oh so good looking on Prom night. My date could barely keep her hands off of me. It was great seeing all the kids I grew up with cleaned up and looking PIMP. My date was not too bad either.

Radio/ TV Class- Three hours each day with Chris Ponder… sign me up, dude was a freaking riot. This class was so much fun because basically all we did was dick around for three hours and talk about the Wonder Years. Plus it was a great class to skip.

Repertory Theater – The most dope class in high school by a long shot. It was another great dick around class (what do you mean I need to learn my lines... blasphemy!) I may not have been much of an actor, but man I perfected my BS skills in this class.

And there you have it… Reavo’s Favorite High School Edition.

No comments: